Cut up a few painted filmstrips and placed them in slide mounts. Sort of reframing the strip, a device for projections, or “framed” as mini art.
Need to get some scans up, but here’s a photo of the end result. Clickable for a larger view:
Process work from “Cosmos,” my current project. Also, my first stab at posting video with WordPress (compression not as bad as I had feared.
Acrylic on 35mm filmstrips.
I bought a box of overhead projector transparencies, a new tube of acrylic ink, and an Xacto knife, and came home to make more interesting messes. By now, I’ve got a decent idea of how the different paints and inks behave independently and in tandem with each other and other additives. But I didn’t expect that, given the larger surface, the paints and inks would just continue to expand across the surface area. With the smaller 35mm filmstrips, the pigments were contained, concentrated. Here, they just keep on going.
I cranked out a few sheets in short order and allowed them to set overnight. In the morning, they were still slightly viscous. I taped them to my window in order to catch the strong eastern morning light and shot several photos: